Earlier this week, President Biden issued an executive order on artificial intelligence — a breakthrough technology that has the power to change the world in ways we’re only beginning to understand.
After the order was released, I sat down with Nilay Patel, host of the Decoder podcast, to talk more about how we can learn from the past and harness the power of AI in a way that benefits, rather than undermines, our democracy. It’s a topic I’m excited to keep exploring this week at the Obama Foundation Democracy Forum — an event that will bring together activists, thought leaders, and changemakers to discuss challenges like AI and their potential impact.
Ahead of those conversations, I wanted to share some of the books, articles, and podcasts that have helped shape my perspective over the past year. This list offers a range of viewpoints on the threats, opportunities, and challenges posed by AI and some thoughtful ideas on how to respond.
I hope it’s useful if you’re looking to dive in. And be sure to tune into the Democracy Forum today at Obama.org.
- Blueprint for an AI Bill of Rights: Making Automated Systems Work for the American People via WhiteHouse.gov
- AI is Having a Moment — and Policymakers Cannot Squander the Opportunity to Act by Dr. Alondra Nelson via Center for American Progress
- From the darkroom to generative AI by Hany Farid via Content Authenticity Initiative
- Regulating Transparency in Audiovisual Generative AI: How Legislators Can Center Human Rights by Raquel Vazquez Llorente via Tech Policy Press
- When It Comes to Big Tech, Enough Is Enough by Lindsey Graham and Elizabeth Warren via The New York Times
- Zero Trust AI Governance via the AI Now Institute
- How Online Mobs Act Like Flocks Of Birds by Renée DiResta via Noema
- AI is a “tragedy of the commons.” We’ve got solutions for that by Sigal Samuel via Vox
- What Biden’s Top A.I. Thinker Concluded We Should Do via The Ezra Klein Show
- Harvard professor Lawrence Lessig on why AI and social media are causing a free speech crisis for the internet via The Verge
- Casey Goes to the White House via Hard Fork at The New York Times
- Techlash: Who Makes the Rules in the Digital Gilded Age? by Tom Wheeler
- Impromptu: Amplifying Our Humanity Through AI by Reid Hoffman
- The Coming Wave: Technology, Power, and the Twenty-first Century’s Greatest Dilemma by Mustafa Suleyman
- Recoding America Why Government Is Failing in the Digital Age and How We Can Do Better by Jennifer Pahlka
- The Worlds I See: Curiosity, Exploration, and Discovery at the Dawn of AI by Fei-Fei Li (Published 11/7/23)